Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what styles of house do you like?

what styles of house do you like?

this is a US house forum....but i think that US house and garage is similar to UKG in that it's a global thing too....

some of my favorite US house records are from the UK....go figure.

i'm a fan of all things soulful.....and i also like some deeper, more hypnotic sounds. but i also like to get the funk out.

Naked Music and similar sounding stuff.

Brian Bristol used to make some of the best deep house that put me in a trance....

i have a guilty pleasure for well produced filtered out house, even the French stuff.

and of course Garage, past and present.....US, UK, doesn't matter.

let's cover this, then we can get into Songs and tracks

UKMusic.com Gold Member
    French House, Tribal House, the odd Deep House track now and then. The Naked stuff is great. I can't stand most diva-like vocal house but Lisa Shaw has an angelic voice.
    and Tech House

I'm big on Naked Music stuff, NRK, Basement Boys, Idjut Boys, Spen & Karizma, I dig some diva stuff...only every now and then tho...MAW of course...Ibadan stuff - latin house flavaz...some French filtered funk for good measure.

House is a close second to Garage in terms of my favourite genre...slightly above DnB

UKMusic.com Gold Member
    Spen & Karizma did a weighty Dub of Africanism's Block Party last year.

DJ Spen's Craze At Midnight was re-released on Chez Music last year.

and as usual, you two share my Good Taste!

i haven't kept up with the Basement Boys as much lately.....but i have my good handful of their older records.....always proving that good musicality beats a great drum machine anyday.

you both mentioned the divas.....i have my diva moments too, but mostly when it comes to female vocals.....i like them silky smooth. Lisa Shaw, Inaya Day, Catherine Russel, Sia....now she needs to do some Naked styled stuff....but my favorite house vocalist has to be India. because of her....still....."I Can't Get No Sleep"

I'm more the silky smoov kinda guy as well...that's why Naked stuff goes down so well with me...mellow yet soulful, and not as inyerface as some of the more diva-esque divas get...

I think a good mix up (like bline/mc vs. vocal vs. 4/4 in UKG) is always called for, with a 80/20 split between smooth/diva being a good ratio...maybe 70/30 as the night goes on and pumps up a bit until it gets to be the other way around once things get banging.

All about the groove, you know

All about techno.

glad to see you supporting techno in a US Garage and House forum.

yeah Sen....i think as the nite progresses, i like to bring out more funk.....pick up the tempo....i also like some good tribal records here and there.....there's a MURK record on Junior that i just played the hell out of last winter...just good southern tribal beats....and the latin stuff is always fun after you've hit a good peak. when everyone's liquored up and feelin the vibes....it's partytime then. Negrocan.....now there's some UK latin vibes, thank you Mr. Nelson for those.

exactly...start it deep, bring in the funk, and then drop into tribal in the wee hours...or something like that

It's all about Jonathan Fawkin Peters

I wish I actually had something to say about house, but about the closest thing I dig is speed garage, not that 90% of the people around these parts can tell the difference...

I got something to say about house...

[ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ][ loop ]... etc

erm.....i'm not sure if that's supposed to be a diss or what....so i guess i'll just leave it at that.

UKMusic.com Silver Member
    latin house, i'm all about latin house. Also deep house and anything that is touched by Pope and Oji.
    Heard Mark Farina play a five hour set last weekend in DC.....amazing....lots of deep house, horns, and congos...soulful as hell.
    i'm also feeling kerri chandler, mark grant and tony humphries at the moment. miguel migs too.
    ~peace~

UKMusic.com Gold Member
    any type of good house. i aint one to hate a genre. Or not buy a tune coz it aint what i would usually play.
    im many listening to the funky stuff at the moment.

My Favs... stuff from...

Joe Claussell
    Frankie Knuckles and David Morales (the early stuff)
    Masters at Work
    Brian Tappert and John Knight (Cleptomaniacs)
    Joey Negro
    Anything from Peppermint Jam (Mousse T et al)
    Erick Morillo
    Anything from the Strictly Rhythm catalog!!!

Frankie Knuckles and David Morales
    the godfather and the boss.....some of my earliest favorites are from these 2

Masters at Work
    my favorites, period.

Joey Negro
    i'm also a long time fan of his stuff, old and new. he's the disco king, he does it without it coming off cheesy. authentic, musical work.

Anything from Peppermint Jam
    i'll never forget the first PJ remix i ever heard.....Ruffneck's "Everybody be Somebody" SLAMMIN.

Anything from the Strictly Rhythm catalog!!!
    that's a pretty big catalog......i'm a S.R. follower too, but i have more than a few mediocre and $$$$ Strictly records. then again, some of my treasures are also Strictly releases.

I got something to say about house...
    then it was something about loop, loop, loop wasn't it?

You wouldn't be listening to UKG right now if it wasn't for the US House/Garage scene.
    Don't even try to tell me its not the truth either.

in north america, many peeps are coming at UKG not from a house perspective, but from a breakbeat perspective.....be it breaks, or jungle, or even hip-hop.

i'm sure we've all seen cases where this perspective has led to a lack of respect for the roots of the genre, many of us are biased, even i have my moments.

there's a bit of division it seems between the older cats and the youths in the UK as well.....
    strangely enough many of the kids that flocked to the breakbeats also enjoy the harder bassline choons, and if that eventually leads to a respect for house and it's 4/4 beat, i'll take it.

so those that find no reason to respect the roots....usually find little reason to respect or acknowledge the ties to US house.

but that's typical of many genres, not just garage.

i agree with Soulfonik though.....garage exists because of US house, specifically the house styles of many of the producers mentioned above. 2-step as a style of garage took it to that next level though, and borrowed from other genres as well. but of course we all know that.

disco is the original electronic dance music in my opinion.

feeling most Rasoul stuff at the mo.

love Migual Migs/Petal Pusher.

Also anything thats busting deep synth melodies.

UKMusic.com Silver Member
    Pumping U.S vocal garage

Latin house Right now feeling a tune called "Mambana on Soulfuric trax

And the Naked music, "deep" stuff. Miguel Miggs etc
    Last edited by Noizemaker; 03-09-2002 at 01:57 PM.

Thread Information