PDA

View Full Version : how old were u when you started to produce???

DOES IT MATTER
20-02-2002, 06:57 PM
how old??and why??

SUPERSTAR SINISTA
20-02-2002, 07:03 PM
i was about 7 and i used to couch wiv dj ez and i used 2 play on his decs and he said i was wicked 4 my age soooo i got into garage and ez said if a make some good tunes he will put them on vynal and play them in his set

lol check your pm does it matter

Harley
20-02-2002, 07:30 PM
I woke up one day when i was about 12, and there was a strange wet sensation in my boxers, I think to my knowledge that was the first time i produced.

JJ
21-02-2002, 10:33 AM
i was 14 at my local youth club studio.

Sen
21-02-2002, 02:04 PM
I don't think we have that sort of thing in Canada...youth club studios...but that'd be a great thing to have...maybe get a few more kids interested in making music vs. doing whatever other useless/illegal things kids these days do...

Me, I started when I was pretty young writing and all that, but didn't get into full production until I was 23 or so, when I could afford all the kit

tiger
22-02-2002, 07:55 PM
weeee!!! i got in to it at the tender age of 13 and have been making fukking horible tunes ever since - though thats all bout to change. watch out for some of me new tunes coming soon

Sen
22-02-2002, 08:59 PM
good for you Tigerman ;) keep it coming!

tiger
22-02-2002, 11:13 PM
cheers sen, just hope u won't shoot this batch down like u did my last 2 sets of tunes! lol

Sen
22-02-2002, 11:41 PM
ah, weren't gunnin', just constructive critisicm is all ;)

DJ Fat Zed
23-02-2002, 09:37 AM
I started making music with an atari and a DX-7 aged 14, then got a 4 track aged 15 and moved more and more into it. Now 11 years later I still get confused, but still love it and am completely obsessed.

More important though, I've played musical instruments since 7 and my dad was a big jazz fan. Anyone can be technical, but not everyone can be musical.

Sen
23-02-2002, 12:47 PM
Big up that comment about musicality Zed...there's something to be said for being forced to play piano and violin for most of your life and singing in stupid choirs for the rest of your life ;) it helps you out a lot.

Harmonies, melodies, song structure, timbres, it's all there. It's well worth learning a bit of music theory as well as learning your "chops" and chords.

If you want to write songs quickly, learn the organ or guitar because you learn chord structures fast and from that can extrapolate notes for the bass and leads using different instruments.

I would have loved to learn how to drum...I can't co-ordinate my hands and feet tho ;)

SUPERSTAR SINISTA
23-02-2002, 07:51 PM
nah i started at about 12 coz i like makein my own sound

DJ Fat Zed
24-02-2002, 09:25 AM
I'm not too sure of the point of this thread?!?!?!?

Are people trying to say that the younger you start the better?

I think the most important thing to making music is to have a wide variety of musical experience. Be broadminded. After all, UK garage wouldn't exist if it weren't for the open minded folks who started to blend styles.

The great music makers are the ones who dont follow style but keep an open mind and listen to and take influences from a broad range of styles.

If you "only listen to UK garage" you'll get nowhere and end up like one of those sad people who still live in the eighties and spend all their time on the "Aha" fanclub website.

tracer
27-02-2002, 11:14 AM
I started when i was about 12! i used all kinds of programs but now i stick to fruityloops for my drum prgramming and stuff and soundforge, and cubase!