PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question! Please help (urgentish!)

lyricallush.co.uk
08-01-2002, 11:33 PM
Wotcha!

Just recorded a mix onto Cool Edit Pro and it sounds fine but I wonder if there is any way to just make sure all tracks are as loud as each other?

They are not far off and it sounds fine but is there a way to sort it so it is perfect 100% (I am a fussy ba5tard!)

Thanks in advance.

Sen
08-01-2002, 11:37 PM
normally, you'd normalize each track so that they're all at the loudest they can be, but since you've recorded this as a mix, I'm assuming they're 1 contiguous track, not seperate choons, right?

If so, you could go and select just the song part you want and normalize that, but you'll end up with jumpy volume levels between the mix part and the main part

That's about the only way I can think of doing it...anyone else? I don't usually meddle with my mixes in the computer...too much hassle ;)

djentropy
09-01-2002, 09:32 AM
A VERY SMALL amount of compression might level it out a bit, but be careful, you might muck up the mix and cut off some of the dynamics.

If its only one or two tunes that are quiet though, try bringin em up, and volume swell certain parts to smooth it out...

-Ian Entropy

djpassion
09-01-2002, 02:13 PM
Gone are the days when you just plugged the output from your mixer into the tape-deck, huh!

Sen
09-01-2002, 03:40 PM
You got that right Passion.

Too many DJs I know of personally are computer mixing mp3s and claiming that as their mixtape demo.

It's disgusting, really.

That's one thing I love about DJs and vinyl - the human error element, the not-perfect mixing that makes it interesting.

But computer tracking just to get jobs? man, how low :mad:

djpassion
09-01-2002, 03:53 PM
I still mix mine live from vinyl, straight to mini disc. Happy enough with the standard of my mixing to roll with it...

djpassion
09-01-2002, 03:53 PM
Mind you, this could be why I'm not held in the same esteem as the likes of Tuff Enuff Brown...

Sen
09-01-2002, 04:04 PM
could be could be...

djentropy
09-01-2002, 05:10 PM
I agree, that is very lame. However, touchin up a mix on a computer ain't so bad. I believe there is a very very VERY fine line on what is "cleaning up" and what is "faking".

-Ian Entropy

Sen
09-01-2002, 05:16 PM
yeah, I had a minidisc cak out on me halfway through the mix, so I had to cut and paste a bit of a song together to put the mix back together...that's fixing and cleaning.

The actual mp3-jay $$$$e is plain wrong! ;)

tiger
09-01-2002, 11:12 PM
try hard limiting the whole mix, thats wot me and me m8s do (it makes all the sounds a wee loud) and it works prety well

djpassion
10-01-2002, 08:26 AM
Hehehe! I'm not really cussing people who tidy their mixes - at the end of the day, a mix tape/cd is like a DJing CV - whenever you give a CV out you try and present it as best as possible. The only thing I diss are people who mix MP3s and do the whole Pro-Tools thing - not actually using two bits of vinyl and a mixer!